Any selection of methods or criteria used by a company to manage business processes, is the company’s BPM. In a people or system related processes, BPM platforms are the media that provide required tools and frameworks for workflow and task management. BPM platforms include:
- An engine that monitors and audits tasks and performance including reporting of findings
- An engine that manages the organization and implementation process of tasks
- Tools for automation of process data and forms
- A process creator for designing and managing linear or parallel tasks (both machine and human) that both constitute a process
IT teams can use low code to build processes with the help of the business process management software. However, according to creation.com, previous researches should be used to predetermine and test processes that are recommended by the research analysis. Organizations can also use cloud-based or on premise platforms depending on their specific security needs or preferences.
As a business approach, BPM handles processes as key company assets that have to be well understood, managed and established to convey high value products and services to customers. Some of the key processes that companies can design and develop by means of BPM software include:
- Loan origination
- Service orders and customer requests
- Management of complaints
- Project development and management
- Reporting of expenses
- Employee recruitment
- Time-off requests
- Invoice management
- Account management
On the other hand, organizations are free to integrity their BPM platforms so as to moderate costs as well as increase employee satisfaction. This is more easily achieved by offering definition of processes, automation of processes, deployment of forms and portals as well as IT, Human resources, sales, marketing and finance auditing.
This article looks at the three main types of BPM platforms i.e. Basic BPM platforms, business process management suites (BPMSs) and intelligent Business process management suites (iBPMs).
1. Basic BPM Platforms
Business process management platforms are designed with an end objective of improving industry performance. The basic BPM software focuses on allowing citizen developers to build workflows with an aim to connect the different systems. Low-code makes it easier to develop, test and manage these workflows seven without prior coding skills. Basic BPM tool list includes a variety of functions designed to serve the following workflow functions:
- Form generation, allowing users to generate web-forms without coding skills
- This function allows users to define KPIs and metrics as well as run both custom and standard reports
- Workflow management. This function allows users to design, test and execute composite workflows. These workflows are used to manage interactions between systems, employees and data. The BPM platform however automates a number of the workflows.
- Creation of business rules. This function allows users to create multiple business rules to regulate process designs and implementation.
- This feature allows businesses to borrow or import and use data across systems.
- By supporting discussion threads and decision management, the software serves as a collaboration tool for businesses.
2. Business process management suites
This is a low-code platform that business owners and architects use to support business process management initiatives. Business process suits are model-driven methods that support a process enhancement lifecycle from initiation to the end. This means they enable users to:
- Generate process applications
- Model processes
- Align functionalities
- Execute applications
- Build custom reports, and
- Monitor process results
Business process suite is the tool that supports Business process management life cycle from beginning to implementation. It also creates work flows and paths, and is supported by the following features:
- WORA capabilities
- Flexible work assignment and routing
- Impact analysis together with simulation abilities
- Unified platform for live collaboration
- Real time process modeling
- Rule-based process authoring
- Complex event processing abilities
- Customized metrics recording
- Automatic report generation
Businesses that use the Business process suite benefit from its speedy process automation capabilities, lower costs, high agility, regulatory compliance, collaboration and increased accountability between process participants, insights and greater operational brilliance leading to increased business efficiency. In turn, business owners get more process control and an accelerated time to value, which is associated with business processes.
3. Intelligent Business Process Management Suites (iBPMs)
This is an advanced level business process management with a superior degree of operational sensitivity. This comes at a time when the modern industry needs robust insights into their daily operations. The ever growing demand for business operational intelligence gave rise to a smarter variety of BPM suites (BPMSs).
iBPM offers more functionalities needed to support smarter business operations. These include complex even processing, real time analytics, activity monitoring and an enhanced social, collaborative and mobile capabilities.an iBPM has ten core components;
- Process component registry
- On demand analytics
- Business rules management
- Continuous intelligence or analytics
- Human interaction management
- Content interaction management
- Model-driven composition environment
- Process orchestration engine
- Management and administration covering the technical aspects of the suite
According to developers and iBPM users, intelligent business process management software is a smart ecosystem that works with an intelligence capacity similar to the human nervous system. It allows industries to:
- Process events
- Correlate inputs in to generate meaningful signals
- Send pre-processed impulses to the events channel (the brain), which processes them further to trigger a reaction. The reactions are usually reliant on certain pre-established patterns (Business and BPM rules).
Intelligent business process management suites address business need dynamics of customers and enhances the operational processes impacting costs of service. Industries using low-code development platforms should also realize that business process transformations need to be aligned to generate better employee and customer experiences.
iBPMs like CRM software, leverages this by integrating smarter workflow automation competencies that take care of today’ industry needs and realign them with demands of tomorrow. However, the choice of an iBPM platform depends on the status of your business process development, the kind of activities or events supporting your processes, access to data and skilled resources.