Bitdefender Total Security$44.99
- Excellent protection against malware
- Multiple layers of ransomware protection keep your files safe
- Low system performance hit
- Webcam protection feature
- Create encrypted, password-protected vaults on your system for confidential and sensitive documents
- Parental Advisor needs more detailing
- Support is slow to respond
When it comes to providing users with adequate security against online threats, Bitdefender has always been at the front lines with its security products. Their latest security product called Bitdefender Total Security 2018 is way ahead in the game of security. For the sake of our users, we decided to review all aspects of it. We do understand the importance of an unbiased review of prices, features and security aspects of antivirus software which is why we will be objective. Take a look at the features we reviewed as well as the variety of tests we put Bitdefender Total Security through for the sake of all our loyal readers.
Cost and What’s Covered
Bitdefender Total Security’s pricing starts at
$89.99 annually (but you can get Bitfefender Total Security at a discounted price) which covers 5 devices for you. If you have more devices, then you can simply opt for the $99.99 version of the package that covers 10 devices for you annually. This package covers Windows 7 to Windows 10 as well as Mac and Android operating systems. It has the added ransomware protection feature that keeps your computers safe. Unlike the other features offered by Bitdefender’s other packages, Bitdefender Total Security provides you with an anti-theft feature.
Other Bitdefender Security Products
Ease of Installation
Here are the steps Bitdefender takes to download Bitdefender Total Security 2019 on your device, according to our review.
- If you have decided to download Bitdefender Total Security 2019 , the first and the foremost thing you will have to do is create an account on the software’s official website. You can use this account to manage and control the subscriptions you make and the devices that you control. You will need to create this account even if you have chosen to try the trial version of the software. All you will need is a name, email address, and a password.
- Upon creating your account, you will then need to download the software installer. This file is roughly 10.6MB in size and shouldn’t take too much of space on your device. However, once you launch it, the download wizard will continue to install Total Security suit from the official servers of Bitdefender. The downside is that if you have a poor internet connection then this might take you a while.
- Once everything is downloaded, then Bitdefender Total Security 2019 will begin installing on your device. This step, however, will let you customize the setup settings to your liking. You can opt for “Send anonymous reports to Bitdefender” or opt out of it. You can also pick a language you prefer the software to use. During this step, there will also be a quick antivirus scan of your device. This should only take a minute or two before the software is up and running.
- When the installation process is complete, the software will then load its user interface as well as its protection modules. You will not need to reboot your device as the software can start to protect your device right away. Immediately after the installation, Bitdefender will install an automatic update on your device for its software so you need to vary of that as it will download an added 60MB worth of file.
According to an AV Test that was conducted in 2017, Internet Security proved to have caught every single threat that it faced, whether it was an existing threat or a zero-day one. Even thought Bitdefender’s malware protection is proven to stand with the most elite line of system security, its premium suites perform better at identifying certain threats than the basic Antivirus Plus suite.
The biggest thing we noticed whist checking Bitdefender Total Security is how easily it protects users while they are browsing the internet. As you very well know. Bitdefender scans and filters all of the internet traffic that either comes in or goes out of your computer, thereby ensuring total security. Whether you are using Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera or even Microsoft Edge, Bitdefender Total Security has got you covered. We ran the following tests to check the antivirus software.
For the sake of our review, we tried to visit malicious websites using these browser and every attempt was made futile by Bitdefender.
Secondly, we checked what the software does when it is the matter of a removable drive that contains a malicious virus. In order to do this, we copied a few harmful files onto a USB drive and then plugged it into our device that had Bitdefender Total Security installed. Immediately, the software started scanning the USB drive and started cleaning it. In a manner of seconds, all harmful files were removed from the drive.
Infected Windows Test
Lastly, we installed Windows 10 on our device. We then proceeded to infect it with some dangerous viruses, one of them being ransomware. We then ran Bitdefender Total Security and prompted it to eliminate the threat. As expected, Bitdefender did so marvelously in a manner of minutes and after a full system scan, the laptop was free of viruses once more.
We also ran a few independent security tests. The results are listed below.
- AV-Test: 6/6 for Protection and Performance, 5.5/6 for Usability
- AV-Comparatives: Advanced+ in all the tests
- Virus Bulletin: VB100 badge
The firewall protection offered by Bitdefender Total Security can analyze the network profile that you set for your Windows, it then configures its settings accordingly. This is a great feature because since it is smart, less intervention is required by users thereby saving them a lot of time. If you wish to set a public or a private profile for the network you use manually, then you also have the option to do that.
In order to understand the efficiency of this protection better, we ran a few tests by two vulnerability scanners called Nessus and Nmap. Upon running these tests, neither one of them managed to find any sensitive information from the laptop we used while it was connected to a public network profile. However, when we used a private network profile, Nmap was able to find one open port, whereas Nessus identified two.
What we noticed was that Bitdefender Total Security comes with a lot of security features that users can enjoy.
This particular scanner checks as well as installs several critical updates onto your device. It is smart enough to tell you when your passwords are weak and what wireless networks maybe harmful to you.
Wi-Fi Security Advisor
This feature checks the wireless networks that you connect to for threats and security purposes.
This is a secure web browser for users that protects all online transactions including online banking, online selling and purchasing. With this feature, users are protected against phishing attempts, malware, keylogging, and session hijacking.
This is a safe password manager that locks all of your sensitive information in a safe encrypted environment.
File Vaults are encrypted folders where you can secure all of your important document. They are also password protected for added security.
This protects your webcam against unwanted access so that hackers do not access your feed without your knowledge.
This tool is specifically designed to protect your children against unwanted websites and threats online. You can easily monitor their online activity and restrict access to unwanted content via Bitdefender’s official web page.
You may delete files on your computer but if you want to permanently delete their trace from your computer. Bitdefender’s File Shredder will come in handy. These deleted files will never be recoverable.
With this feature, you can scan your computer for unwanted junk files as well as analyze privacy concerns in files.
This feature allows you to decide which applications on your computer load up automatically as your device boots up. But in all fairness, Windows has this feature in-built as well.
You can use your Bitdefender Central account to locate your computers if they should ever go missing.
Disk Cleanup feature deletes unnecessary and large files from your storage devices and frees up a lot of space that you can utilize for more important things.
Probably the most important feature is Bitdefender Total Security’s Bitdefender VPN. This feature is in collaboration with Hotspot Shield. It is a great service that allows you to use unsafe wireless networks in public without letting in any threats onto your device. The downside to this feature however is that you only get to use 200MB worth of internet a day.
Multi-Layer Ransomware Protection
Bitdefender Total Security has created quite some hype around it’s name in the market due to its feature packed packages. But even then, it continues to wow the masses by adding more protection features to safeguard deices against malicious online attacks. As if the features already offered by Bitdefender weren’t enough, in the 2019 update, Bitdefender brings you its multi-layer ransomware protection and remediation. This feature utilizes a feature that detects threats in order to stop the system from being infected. In doing so, Bitdefender secures your existing files and documents with the help of specialized ransomware encryption. It uses a new remediation layer that protects pictures, videos, documents, and even music from any kind of imminent ransomware attack.
Network Threat Prevention: Predicting Attacks Before They’ve Taken Place
Any and all online attacks enter your system if your network is not secure. What Bitdefender’s new update does is, it adds a network based protection layer onto your system so that it may detect any vulnerabilities before any threats have had a chance to exploit them. It not only detects but also blocks such attack attempts, ensuring the security of your device and your sensitive information by encrypting it.
Also Read: ExpressVPN Review
Bitdefender Total Security – Final Thoughts
Bitdefender Total Security has a lot to offer users. For a while now, it has been on top of our list of security products to keep an eye out for. While the software runs, it does an efficient job in protecting you against malware. The user interface is easy enough for users to understand and get the hang of in a manner of minutes, regardless of whether they are beginners or advanced users. As you can see from the security features we have reviewed, there is a lot to protect you. Our final verdict is that we would definitely recommend this software to our readers.